Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I am very concern about my father as he is type 2 diabetic

Customer Question

Hello there I am very concern about my father as he is type 2 diabetic and I just brought a blood glucose monitor to keep check his blood sugar as he hes doctor does a blood test every 3 months to tell them what his blood sugars are over the 3 months. And he has gone from being between 7-8 to being 16. 2 blood tests in a row. But since I got the blood glucose machine his had ketones In his readings. I am not sure how much ketones are in. His blood tho. But I am trying to give him food with low carbohydrates.
This morning when he woke up his blood sugar reading is 10-11 and then I give him 2 piece of toast with a egg. And then i checked his blood sugar about 2 hours later and his blood sugar reading was 15.3 with ketones.Can you tell me if there is anything that I can do in diet to help get no ketones in his blood sugar readings.But Before we found out he was diabetic he wasn't eating a lot during the day at all.But since he still doesn't eat much. He may only eat 2 meals a day and he will snack of a night on driffent things.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The body normally keeps the blood sugar levels between 4 mmol/L to 7.5 mmol/L.The fact that his levels have gone up to 16.2 mmol/L is alarming,especially since he also has ketones in the body.This signals that there is either a major problem with infection in the body(may be renal,skin or any other system)/drugs are in sufficient/diet is much more than calorie consumption by exercise/injury to the body.Levels may normally rise to 14mmol/L but will return to normal in due course,a level of 17mmol/L is alarming as also persistent readings of 15/16.He needs to see his PCP/Endocrinologist as soon as possible to prevent renal and other damage to the body.He will probably need an increase in his Insulin,or will need to start on insulin if he is not taking it.He needs to undergo a physical examination,investigations and change in therapy guided by the physical and lab reports.This needs to be done urgently.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is not on insulin at the moment. And is there any way of getting a reading with no keystones in his blood

You need a Glucometer to get accurate blood sugar readings.Getting a blood ketone reading will help(normal is below 0.6mmol/L) ,it seems as if he is heading for diabetic ketoacidosis especially if his sugar hits over 17.5 mmol/L and ketones head upwards.Short acting insulins would be best to control the rising levels and ketones,of course on the advice by his doctors.He needs to be examined and investigated as soon as possible as Diabetic Ketoacidosis is a very serious condition.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tested my fathers ketone level with his glucose meter and it is 0.2 but it says if it's 0.6 or lower then it's in normal range!Is that right.

The level of 0.6mmol/L is the upper limit of normal for blood ketone,any level below that is normal.Blood sugar levels of over 17.5mmol/L do predispose one for ketonuria, hence elevated blood sugar needs to be checked by using injectable short insulins like Actrapid human insulin.His endocrinologist or Physician can examine and investigate him to find out why the high glucose levels are not settling.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My dad told me that his diabetes is hereditary and that is the cause.But it should still be able to be lowered even if it's hereditary?

Yes,diabetes is mostly hereditary and control is possible and essential.Use of injectable Insulin is perhaps the answer and would be most beneficial apart from other antidiabetes drugs,exercise and dieting.

Do you need any more information?