Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I'm having a strange problem. Basically, within about five

Customer Question

Hi, I'm having a strange problem. Basically, within about five minutes of eating I get jittery, anxious, feel a shaking feeling in my stomach/intestines, and feel itchy. Temperature feels like it's fluctuating quite a bit, too, sometimes. Any suggestions as to what could possibly be causing this? I don't think it's a blood sugar issue unless it's happening inconsistently as I actually ate in the doctor's office once (I did not feel these symptoms at the time admittedly) and they took my blood sugar about 20 min after I ate and it was normal.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: I'm not sure. I know a few days ago I took a muscle relaxer the night before and towards the end of the day I felt better. Let me add that all this started when I got sick. One day I was eating lunch and I just felt some slight pain right below my right breastbone. I went home feeling extremely tired and the next day I was exhausted slept pretty much all day. All that week I was extremely bloated feeling, and the next week, these symptoms involving food started. I still have the bloatedness, but the food issues seem more concerning given the anxiety component.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Offhand, I can't think of anything else aside from the fact that I had an ultrasound which came back normal, a HIDA Scan which came back normal, and a bunch of allergy tests (both blood and prick)--all of which came back normal.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

after eating, it is very normal for blood to flow more to your GI system

do you have excessive anxiety symptoms at other times?

have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked?

how old are you?

are you a man or woman?

have you kept a food diary to see what foods cause this?

are you drinking caffeine or alcohol when this happens?