Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I just need someone to read my lab tests for optimal values

Customer Question

I just need someone to read my lab tests for optimal values and give me some guindance.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Im not taking any medications, I have seen a few doctors but none of them could help me as Im still feeling exhausted
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, I just need him to take a look at my lab for the optimal values and give me some guidance on how to get to the point of feeling better
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. Can you post your lab values? And what is your age?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Dr. Bob
Im 42, female
Will post my lab tests here, thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is the link for the file, since it's larger than 5mb
this is a link to my personal dropbox,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd1dgjh1aqlz4jw/LabTests.docx?dl=0
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been feeling so bad for a long while , so I decided to run these tests on my own after done some research on what might cause these symptoms. I talked to a doctor who advised me to eat tons of rice and sweet potato and do intermittent fasting - I didnt thing this should be fine so I decided to try another opinion.
My period is fine, normal 28 days cycles every month, no cramps, heavy workout everyday for at least 45 min, stressful life as almost everyone else today, bad sleeping, waking up at 3am, not sleeping back till 4 or 5 pm.
Eating a low carb high fat diet with good fats and moderate protein
taking B complex - magnesium - multi vitamin - DHEA - omegas - D3 - zinc -iodine and few other, only supplements, no prescription drugs.
no smoking , never
no alcohol
no drugs
no refined sugas
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Wow. Your labs are fantastic. On paper you look like an amazingly healthy 42 year-old. Do you get pap smears and mammograms on a regular basis?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, no mammograms or pap smears lately, nor on a regular basis
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a fasting insulin of 16.0 this shouldn't be considered good, it should?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These last days I've been getting a preprandial blood glucose over 100's even 120's
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Believe me , Im not amazingly healthy, forgot to tell Im overweight , 85kilos, almost 190lbs, despite all the work I do to take this weight off, it doesnt work.
I thought the answer could be on that lab test, my hope
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

I understand. Normal labs can be a mixed blessing. And it is certainly possible you are at increased risk for diabetes in the future with a high normal fasting insulin...but for now, your glucose level and HgA1c do not support the diagnosis. You may have a bit of insulin resistance due to the extra weight. If you got down to your optimal weight, there is a good chance your fasting insulin level would drop well into the normal range.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

The one thing I noticed that is missing from your labs are inflammatory markers...CRP, ESR, RF, FANA etc.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Autoimmune or autoinflammatory conditions can create a host of non-specific and vague symptoms that do not add up otherwise...often delaying a diagnosis.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Fatigue is chief among the symptoms. Of course, there are many other causes of fatigue, including inadequate or poor quality sleep. Good sleep is like water, air or food. It is an essential element of good physical and mental health. Sometimes it can be hard to determine which came first, a medical condition interfering with sleep, or poor sleep contributing to a medical condition.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What do you you suggest me to do it then? Any other tests like the ones you just cited or anything else?
I'm all ears.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

In order to complete the work up, I would request at least a C-reactive protein (CRP) which is a pretty good screening test for autoimmune or autoinflammatory conditions. In addition, you might want to ask your doctor for a referral to a rheumatologist. They are the ones specially trained at diagnosing and treating such conditions. Another consideration would be to see an allergist and be tested for food and environmental allergies, as they can similarly cause fatigue and other non-specific symptoms that can be almost disabling. Other than that, I would suggest you do whatever you can to protect and improve your sleep, as this is likely an exacerbating factor.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. I hope my answers were helpful to you. If you have no more questions, please don't forget to provide a positive rating as this is the only way experts on this site get compensated for the time they spend helping you.

Regards,

Doctor-Bob