Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Have experience of Endocrinology over the last 3 years

I have type11 diabetes under control with Metformin and

Customer Question

I have type11 diabetes under control with Metformin and weight loss. Recently diagnoses with pre dementia with some frontal lobe atrophy. My problem is I have lost considerable amount of weight do not have a taste for anything and am losing I have gone from 257 to 190 in 9 months. The phychiatrist tells me the weight loss is not due to brain function. Suggested seeing an endocrinologist although my regular physician says my thyroid labs come back within normal range and does not see the need. She did give me a referral and I wanted to know if I am wasting my time seeing an endocrinologist.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask was your diabetes always under well control or was it recently controlled? Apart from weight loss do you have any other symptoms like diarrhea, fatigue, sweating etc?

Well from what you are describing there are a couple of issues which can be related to the endocrine system, it is possible that there is a problem with the adrenal glands which can lead to the excessive weight loss. Even with diabetes, there is a possibility of adrenal malfunctioning which could manifest as the diabetes being suddenly brought under control because of decreaed cortisol production. So it would be worthwhile going to see an endocrinologist as he can not only exclude the thyroid as a cause but at the same time can also exclude adrenals as the cause for your symptoms.

Secondly you mentioned a raspy voice, when this is considered in conjunction with the weight loss i would also suggest seeing an ENT physician who can look down into the throat and see if there are any abnormal growths. Secondly if the endocrinologist clears you then you will need an extensive workup by an internist to determine the cause for the weight loss which would include CT scans of the chest and abdomen along with pelvis to look for abnormalities which can cause weight loss along with blood tests like ESR etc.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,