Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Can you tell me what the effects would be on a person with

Customer Question

Can you tell me what the effects would be on a person with Hashimoto's if they were to ingest a large amount of Potassium Iodite?
Please be specific with how laboratory tests might read under an ER setting if patient were to seek emergency treatment immediately following or several days afterwards.
What if person did not know they ingested a massive amount of Potassium Iodite, what or how may they present in an ER setting?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is impossible to predict the response of a patient with Hashimoto's disease to the ingestion of large amounts of iodine, and this appears to be largely related to the baseline level of iodine intake.

If the person is suffering from iodine deficiency, increasing iodine in the diet can improve thyroid function, so that the T4 and T3 levels will increase and the TSH level will decrease. However, in someone with high amounts of iodine intake in the diet, increasing iodine intake may worsen thyroid function, causing a decrease in T4 and T3 and an increase in TSH. In this latter situation, iodine restriction may improve thyroid function.

There are also many people in whom the ingestion of iodine does not alter the thyroid lab tests. In clinical studies, about half of patients had no response to iodine ingestion or iodine restriction.

Since each person can vary in their response, the symptoms also cannot be predicted.

Could you explain the situation?

I have not heard back regarding the situation. Without more details, the best that can be said is that the response can vary significantly, and no specific prediction can be made.