Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

After a regular ultrasound 17/8/16 (last one in 2013) a

Customer Question

After a regular ultrasound 17/8/16 (last one in 2013) a couple of nodules in the isthmus with the largest a firm but benign feeling nodule in the midline in keeping with the known 19 mm isthmus nodule. My left thyroid had a couple of nodules too. I am well and my bloods are normal and have always been normal. I have been treated for the last 12 months for Adrenal Fatigue by a biomedical doctor and am recovering well. I mostly suffer with fatigue Otherwise I am very healthy and active. I had a needle biopsy. The surgeon that did the biopsy wants to take the whole thyroid out due too multiple nodules. I have no exposure to radiation. My sister had a partial thyroidectomy in her early twenties. Is it necessary to have the thyroid out can I reduce the nodules with some sort of treatment.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Why you are afraid of getting thyroid out? Is your adrenal fatigue under control? Do you know that if your thyroid levels are normal, it's not the reason of your fatigue. Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My Adrenal fatigue is nearly under control and my thyroid levels are normal. I am not afraid just querying if it is necessary and wondering about long term affects.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are there other ways of reducing the size of nodules or slowing them down from growing.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concerns but later you can ask anything you want. Getting the thyroid removed will depend on your choice. You have both options. You can either keep it under observation by regular 6 monthly ultrasound or you can get it removed. If the nodule is causing any cosmetic problem then yes you can get it removed and whole thyroid will not be removed. You just need removal of left side with isthmus. The thyroid which will be left behind will be sufficient to fulfill your thyroid hormone requirement. I am sorry but with nodules medicines can't help. Medicines can help only when there is diffuse enlargement of thyroid and no nodules. If you leave it as such there will be no long term effects like it will not develop cancer afterwards. Here i i would like to mention that I am thyroid surgeon myself. I reassure you that there is no harm if you leave thyroid as such. The reason for its removal can only be cosmetic and nothing else. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you excellent service but if you have received anything less, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. If the nodule gets bigger than 19 mm will it be harder to remove. Would you remove all the nodules or only the biggest one.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is a endocrinologist also a surgeon? Or do I need to see a endocrinogist and a surgeon? Are the thyroid blood tests accurate? Can the thyroid or nodules be active even if the tests show normal results.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a chance that it could be cancerous if the needle biopsy showed it was benign, initially he said there weren't enough cells then he said it was benign.

You are most welcome. No 19 mm nodes or even bigger than them can be removed but while node is removed rather than just nodules. You just need to see endocrinologist. If tests are normal this means that modules are functioning normally. If needle biopsy is shoring benign then it's sufficient. If they haven't changed size then this means that there is nothing to worry about cancer. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent services but if you have received anything less, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

You are most welcome. Please remember to rate my answer. Regards