Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board certified physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

My 4 month old's head, toes and forehead taste salty. When I

Customer Question

My 4 month old's head, toes and forehead taste salty. When I google it, the first thing that comes up is cystic fibrosis. She has reflux, and takes 1.5 ML of Zantac twice a day. She had a slight cold, but actually got over it faster than her siblings did. She does breath slightly rattly like she has saliva or milk in her throat, but it's not all the time.. She drools a ton. She did pass the newborn screening for CF. She weighs 15 pounds and has no issues with failure to thrive. Her stools are thick (like peanut butter) and are yellow. She drinks formula. She doesn't cough often, only when she has reflux flares. The thing that is worrying me the most is the salty skin. She only seems to sweat when she is in her carseat, but her skin still tastes salty which worries me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

The most reassuring thing is that her screening test for CF was negative.

However the best test to do would be genetic studies to definitively rule out CF.

Salty taste of the forehead among the other symptoms that you mention are nonspecific. Even though they do happen with CF but are not specific for it and can happen even normally in some people as well.

I personally think that this may just be normal for him particularly since his screening test was normal and he has no failure to thrive which are the two most important things to consider.

However, to alleviate your anxiety, I would still do the confirmatory test for CF just to be dead sure and put your mind to ease.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards