Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Is it possible that testosterone injections can cause high

Customer Question

Is it possible that testosterone injections can cause high levels of estrogen and Testosterone. I stopped injections one time and start taking a supplement called Clomid it raisin with the sauce from levels fall also made my estrogen levels go through the roof . So I stopped and started eight other supplement called DIM which actually Lord my street and levels to normal levels but did not raise my thoughts from levels as high as the injections or the Clomid . I do not want to injections for the rest of my life is there anything else I can do
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you have documented low levels of testosterone or estrogen?

If so, could you provide the levels?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I was tested in 4/1/15 I was on clomid for several monthsOn 10/23/15 I was not on clomid anymore for a few months and started taking a prescription supplement called DIMWhich I stopped taking ever since and started that to test injections
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

When I try to access this URL, it says that I do not have access.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I will have to take pictures I will do it tomorrow

I have still not received the results of the lab work.

The first part of your question is easier to answer and can be done without the lab work.

Anything that increases testosterone levels will typically increase the estrogen levels. One of the common metabolic pathways is conversion of testosterone into estrogen, and the enzyme that does this is present in many places in the body, but particularly is located in fatty tissue. So, while everyone will have some elevation in estrogen from increased levels of testosterone, someone that is overweight will have a more significant elevation in estrogen levels.

The other question about what else can be done is more complex and can be better answered with knowledge of the hormone levels, which is why I asked for the test results. If you can get the test results, then I can provide further comment. And if you can also get the results before any treatment was initiated, a more complete answer can be provided.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
heres the results for the last 2 years on test levels and estrogen levels. also i provided the other basic lab results if you need them. also is the free testosterone lab test accurate or educated guess

Thank you for the additional information.

Ideally, two different measurements of testosterone should have been done before starting testosterone replacement. A free testosterone is a more difficult assay, and is primarily used to help in someone with testosterone levels that are normal but low in the normal range. In someone with cearly low total testosterone, the free testosterone is not that helpful.

With the testosterone levels that you have had, the current guidelines would recommend testosterone replacement, either by injection or topical testosterone, with adjustment of the dose to achieve a testosterone level in the middle of the normal range. You do not say why you stopped the injections, but if you were having difficulty with the injections, then the recommended alternative would be topical testosterone.