DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

When my daughter was 14 she was incidentally found to have a

Customer Question

When my daughter was 14 she was incidentally found to have a multinodular thyroid goiter. She had a negative workup which included normal labs, negative antibodies and ultrasound that showed a heterogeneous thyroid with multiple nodules on either side, largest nodule (only one measured) was at the time 5mm cystic in nature. Last year her ped endo placed her on 25mcg of synthroid to try and slow the progression of her thyroid and the lobes were measuring a little over 5 on scan and she thought it they felt larger and swollen on exam. 9 months later we had another ultrasound that showed labs at 4.5 and 4.7, isthmus at 0.2cm and cystic nodules in both thyroid lobes largest nodule on right measuring 7x5x6mm, largest on left measuring 10x8x8mm w/no worrisome features. lab work was TSH 1.330 (0.350-5.550) T3 109 (60-181) and Free Thyroxine 1.0(0.9-1.8). My question is, is there a time that you decide it best to biopsy the nodules given her age, the fact that the nodules are growing, MNG with negative labs OR is OK to just leave them alone since they do not appear worrisome on US appearance? I don't want to do unnecessary tests, but my family has a big thyroid history with myself having 2 aunts and a cousin with thyroid cancer. They were all adults when dx. Thanks
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for this question

I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help

Generally you want to biopsy a nodule that is greater than 2.0 cm or has concerning features

Is this applicable to your situation?

just click send to reply