Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

This request is for ANY medical doctors, plural, familiar

Customer Question

This request is for ANY medical doctors, plural, familiar with the treatment of adrenal insufficiency, primary or secondary, or the use of steroid therapy, particularly involving the use of prednisone.I was treated by a doctor in Kansas for what appeared to be bronchitis, and in the course of the treatment the doc took my history and current drug regimen, etc. At that point I’d been taking 20mg of prednisone orally for six or eight weeks to handle an asthma flare-up. The doc ordered me to stop prednisone (and also theophylline 300 mg x 2 /day and also albuterol sulfate tabs, 4 mg x 2 /day) and to replace these with 250 mcg Flovent x 2 inhalations /day. Flovent is a steroid, active ingredient fluticasone propionate. I did as directed and within a month, despite a half-dozen return visits and many many tests, was very nearly dead. I lost 40 lbs and had to get about in a wheelchair.Thinking I was dying, my wife took me to a nearby hospital where a hospitalist, who looked to be about 14 years old, after hearing my drug regimen and the recently ordered changes diagnosed me immediately as being in adrenal crisis. He began treating me at once and in two days’ time I was able to leave under my own steam.Naturally, I wanted the first doctor to pay the tens of thousands of dollars the abrupt cessation of prednisone had caused. I was told no way was that going to happen. Unable to get a lawyer to take my case, I filed a Petition for Damages representing myself. Believe me, the old saw that a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client goes in spades for the lay person. I’m looking to survive a Motion for Summary Judgment now, and for that I need an affidavit from a medical doctor that it is a bad idea to take a patient abruptly off 20mg/daily prednisone that’s been ongoing for six to eight weeks, substituting 250 mcg fluticasone propionate inhaled twice daily. My reading has given me an understanding that this is known by any competent first world medical doctor, but getting anyone to say this has so far proved impossible.It turns out that one reason no doctor has been willing to help is likely because I’ve been approaching Kansas doctors, and Kansas law dictates that all medical doctors, in order to practice in Kansas, must carry malpractice insurance from one state-run outfit. Quite naturally, no doctor wants to be the cause of that outfit losing money.In order for you to provide me an affidavit, I (or you) will need to ask permission from Just Answer, but if you are willing to help, let me know and I’ll see what JA says. With their permission, I can send you a model affidavit in MS Word, to save you some nuisance.Thank you for considering my request.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

When did this treatment start?

How did you loose thousands of dollars?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dr. Rick, thank you for responding to my request. I was treated initially on March 13, 2013. An APRN saw me on day one and it was she who took me off prednisone and prescribed fluticasone propionate. In the weeks that followed as my health deteriorated an MD took over my care. Initially I wanted only to sit down across the table from these two and explain how badly they'd messed up, and I thought that was understood by the clinic CEO and that she was amenable to that arrangement. Such was not to be. It might have been a bad idea anyway, as my adrenal crisis seems to be having lasting after effects.Finally, just before the statute of limitations ran out, I filed pro se. Too much has happened since then to explain it all, but if you can get Just Answer's permission, I can send you a Pretrial Questionnaire that should pretty well cover it. But again, I'm looking right now to survive a Motion for Summary Judgment, and for that I'm going to need an MD just to state the fact that it is medically inadvisable to abruptly cease taking prednisone when that steroid has been consumed orally in supraphysiologic doses for six or eight weeks. My email is***@******.*** and my telephone is(###) ###-####

A phone consultation would work. Let me send you the link.

Also, you could email the pretrial questionnaire to just answer and they could forward it to me or you could attach it using the paperclip on your screen.

our system blocks access to regular email systems....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry to be so long responding, but had to leave town this morning. Back now. I will try attaching the Questionnaire and also a sample affidavit. I'd be happy to pay you $86 for the affidavit, but don't think a TC would be productive. A couple of things I meant to ask with the original request for help:
*****In what state(s) are you licensed to practice medicine?*****
*****Do you see patients, or strictly do research, and how long have you been doing these things?*****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Of course in addition to the $86 JA fee, I would expect to pay you something. Are you currently practicing medicine? Perhaps you'd be interested in providing me expert testimony, that is if I could get the judge to allow it (the deadline for my naming experts has passed, but he likely would extend it a few weeks if I made a motion requesting it. Where are you? I don't suppose you're close to southwest Kansas?Let me hear something.Michael McEachern

I am unable to accompany you to the court room.

I have a full day in the OR today but should be able to get back to you this evening.

Let me know if you would like to chat on the phone.