Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board certified physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

My 24 hour urine Cortisol test was 6 ug and midnight

Customer Question

My 24 hour urine Cortisol test was 6 ug and midnight salivary Cortisol was 0.015 ug/dl. I have hypogonadism also, those levels were normal but barely is their anything to worry about?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Can you please elaborate on your symptoms.

Any other medical problems?

On any medications for anything?

Please let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I can't lose weight and very fatigued, Major depression that meds don't help, Panic attacks, Hypertension

I take Lisinopril/HTC 20/12.5, Metoprolol 50mgs, Latuda 60mgs, Lexapro 10mgs, Modafinil 200mgs, Klonopin 2mg BID, and Test depo 100mg/week. I had all these before I took the psych meds and I only take them because they help slightly except Klonopin I've taken that for years and it helps.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your response.

Actually your doctor, who requested these tests must have been looking for Cushing's syndrome, which is a condition where the cortisol levels should have been high.

So that has certainly been ruled out as far as I am concerned.

But the level is lower than what it should be ideally.

But none of your other symptoms go in favor of a low level i.e. overweight, high blood pressure and so forth. With low cortisol levels you should be losing weight and have a low blood pressure rather than a high blood pressure.

It is very difficult to interpret such borderline levels but from the looks of it, it does not sound like anything for which you would need medications for.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please do submit a rating when you are done.

Kindest regards