How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Other
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 42328
Experience:  Experienced physician, undergraduate studies at MIT, studied Engineering, qualified to answer your questions.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is 85 years old with controlled type II diabetes.

Customer Question

My father is 85 years old with controlled type II diabetes. He had a successful quadruple bypass at the end of the 2014. He has had a full run of blood tests and a stress tests since, no issues.
Going into the surgery, he weighed 140 pounds. A couple of weeks after surgery, he weighed 135. Now he weighs 128. He's tried to up his intake of high-fat and high-calorie food, he certainly hasn't reduced it, but there are challenges because he cannot eat high sugar foods (so no milkshakes or candy).
It's a real mystery why he's losing weight and we're seeking any more suggestions.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

he needs to have his thyroid hormone levels checked. high thyroid hormone levels can cause weight loss

sudden weight loss after surgery can be a sign of dehydration or bleeding. he may need to drink more fluids.

he will benefit from see a dietician or nutritionist and getting his calories counted on how much he is taking in.

does he have diarrhea or fat oil droplets in the toilet with bowel movements? this can be a sign of poor fat absorption in his bowels and can cause him to loose weight.

inflammation of the stomach or colon can cause poor nutrition absorption as well.

a GI doctor would be able to evaluate for that.

let me know if you have questions.

Related Endocrinology Questions