Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I've been to several docs. Can't figure out why

Customer Question

I've been to several docs. Can't figure out why heavy edema all the time. I have high RBC That I remember on the blood test. Kidney n liver function came back good. Ultra sound of heart looks good. I get hot n sweat at night while I sleep. During the day if I get hot I swell really bad. It's like I just keep gaining water weight. About 20 lbs in a month. It's been in the 90s here daily. Any suggestions at all? Feels like my hands, legs and feet are going to explode. I'm 39 yr. Old female. Little short of breath at times too.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 11 months ago.

Greetings

Do you have pictures of your edema?

• There two possibilities, including heat-related venous insufficiency or lymphedema, with the first being the most likely
  • Your veins dilate in the warm/hot weather causing them to leak water into the surrouding tissue leading to the swollen legs, or edema
  • Solution:
    • Avoid warm/hot weather as possible and avoid lengthy standing periods
    • Stay active and move. The leg muscle, when active, improve the veinous pump, reduce the leakage and promote the return of the water back into the veins
    • Avoid salt food
    • When sitting for long, elevate your legs to the level of your hips. This will reduce the amount of leaking water by working against gravity
    • You may also wear compression stocking when you stand too long or if you can tolerate it in the heat, outside

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. it's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes