DrThomasMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.

Gh ACTH levels in 13 yr old hypo thyroid and type 1

Customer Question

High ACTH levels in 13 yr old hypo thyroid and type 1 diabetes. Trying to regulate sudden weight gain since starting thyroid meds 6 months ago. Wondering if cortisol is playing a part?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: She is seeing an endocrinologist. Taking Nature thyroid and of course insulin. Has suddenly gained 25 lbs with very careful diet
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She is on a gluten free diet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Endocrinologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 4 months ago.

If the ACTH is truely high, outside of high normal the one has to look at cortisol levels.

If they are both high, this is consistent with Cushings disease.

If only the ACTH is high then this can be consistent with Addison's disease.

They can both be high in other tumors as well, mainly lung...not likely here.

Your doctor needs to to further workup at this point.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here