khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I've been diagnosed with Hashimotos recently and my blood

Customer Question

I've been diagnosed with Hashimotos recently and my blood work has come back with a slightly elevated platelet count. They stated at 563, then 500 and now are at 481. The hematologist had run all kinds of blood test over the last month and a half and found nothing. Now he wants to run a JAK2 and FISH BCR-ABL and possibly a bone marrow biopsy. When I mention that perhaps the platelet county is high and it might be do to the Hashimotos he says that no if that were the case my platelets would be low not high. So is it the case that Hashimotos only correspondence with low platelet count and never high?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.
Although the majority of patients with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and their genetic family members will never experience any other autoimmune condition, they do have a statistically increased risk of developing the following disorders: Type 1 diabetes mellitus (insulin-requiring) • Graves’ disease (goiter and hyperthyroidism or overactive thyroid) • Rheumatoid arthritis • Pernicious anemia (inability to absorb vitamin B12, potentially causing anemia and neurologic problems) • Addison’s disease (adrenal failure; the adrenal gland provides cortisol to handle stress and illness) • Premature ovarian failure (early menopause) • Vitiligo (patchy loss of skin pigmentation) • Thrombocytopenic purpura (bleeding disorder due to an inadequate number of platelets in the blood) • Lupus erythematosus (autoimmune disease that involves skin, heart, lungs, kidneys and joints) It is not related to high platelet count but low platelet count.