DrThomasMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.

When I was about 30 I went to see a general practitioner,

Customer Question

When I was about 30 I went to see a general practitioner, a young doctor about IBS. I was having abdominal pain. The gave me a prescription of steroids, and told me to take them for 2 weeks. My whole appearance changed. My face and neck swelled up giving me a round face and making me heavy in the face and neck. I never looked like that before. The effect didn't go away. When I followed up with the doctor he exclaimed "whats all this" and then replied "oh yeh, prednisone makes you retain water. Since this time I've always been a bit abnormally heavy in my face and neck. And also have weight gain in my mid section. I didn't make since to me how short term use of a medication could cause a permanent side effect and change my appearance. I've heard of a rare disorder called cushings syndrome, but I don't have pain in my hands and feet, and the steriods caused the inflamation. I don't understand why the round face syndrome and heavy neck reaction was permanent. Could the steroids have a caused a gland function disorder? Anything you could tell me as a possible explanation as to why this happened, or if there is anything I could do about it would be helpful. Mike
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 5 months ago.
Hellothere is no medical explanation that 2 weeks of prednisone would cause a permanent description as you describe.Does not exist in the literature.However, if you have cushings and you went off steroids, it could have started to manifest at that pointI am surprised no one has tested you, but I would test you forcushingshypothyrodism OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.