Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.

I just need to respond to the above writer. I'm having her

Customer Question

I just need to respond to the above writer. I'm having her exact same response.
I've been on levothyroxin since December. 88 mcg until my symptoms creeped back in then 100. Terrible hot flashes as well an an inability to sleep more than 45 minutes at a time. My hypothyroid went undiscovered for about a year, starting with hot flashes, weight loss, muscle tightening & pain, that turned to muscle weakness, muscle pain, stiffness, hot flashes, weight gain (40lbs), inability to sweat, fluid retention, joint pain & stiffness, the inability to stay awake that morphed into the inability to sleep. Eventually the right tests were done and my t4 was low, my tsh was very very high, as were autoimmune markers (over 1000). I felt great after going on levothyroxine 88, to the point where all of my symptoms either stopped or reduced. Then they crept back in and I felt good again, except I still got severe hot flashes, insomnia, and very little sweating.
Then, 4 days ago, I added progesterone cream. OTC. Natural. Followed directions. First night I slept through the night in a long time very impressed. Breast swelled a bit and were sore. Energy off the chart. Heart pumping hard. 2nd night, heart pupping harder. So I lowered my levothyroxine to 88. Felt great all day. And have for the first time started sweating again, everywhere. On the levothyroxine 100 I was able to sweat a little in patches.
But now my heart is beating hard. I'm clearly hyper. I felt great all day and was a super woman at work, but this isn't right. I'm sure I'm going into hyperthyroid now. I'm not going to choose to stop the thyroid meds since they seemed to bring on the most manageable healing. I can up or lower their dose and get immediate effects. I am going to stop the progesterone cream. I'm glad it activated my sweat glands. Didn't think I'd ever say that! But I'm hesitant to cease the thyroid medicine. And I clearly can't do both. Plus the progesterone builds in our fat cells and can take a long time to decrease if we get too much. I'm hoping 4 days will be easy to come off of. I might hold off on the thyroid medicine for a day or two. I think I'm finding that my symptoms are better managed with thyroid med, and maybe some black cohosh and melatonin for hot flashes and insomnia, vs thyroid med & progesterone, which throws me into hyper.
I suppose it's possible that with the progesterone alone I wouldn't need the thyroid but I can't manage the switch over without going severely hyper, at least that's how it feels so I'm stopping the newer treatment, the progesterone.
It might be important that your above writer read my similar reaction to the mix of therapies AND I would LOVE your professional opinion to what's going on.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 months ago.
How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? When was your last menstrual period? Any medial problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm 53. I stopped cycling when this all started over a year ago. I'm 5'5" and fluctuate wildly in weight since this started. Going from 150 to 135 in two months then shooting up to 175 in three months (that's a 5 month history) then dropping 5 lbs after getting on the levothyroxine to 165. My normal weight up until this event was around 150. My mother had the same symptoms but was never diagnosed with thyroid. She went into menopause and gained weight in the first year and developed arthritis and muscle issues that were never linked to hormones. She was in a wheel chair in two years, and died of heart failure at 52. She lived in a small town and was never properly diagnosed or treated.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh, missed a question. I've been diagnosed with lupus. I'm on hydroxychloriquine & ibruprfen. My doctor thinks my autoimmune response is turning on the thyroid but attributes most of my symptoms to thyroid and not lupus. Symptoms do respond to thyroid treatment. But I moved from an area (Washington DC) with great doctors to a small town and I seem to be experimenting and guessing at this as much as the doctor. She's overbooked and very busy and I can't go to her with every little change and symptom which comes up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, I seem to have lost the doctor and my card was charged or attempted to be charged for the full amount, when I really haven't received any medical advice yet.