Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

My MIL was recently diagnosed with TYPE 2 diabetes (

Customer Question

My MIL was recently diagnosed with TYPE 2 diabetes ( insulin) but she hasn't been put on it as of yet. She is currently taking metformin BID. My problem is this morning before she ate breakfast I took her blood sugar levels and it was 299. I waited an hour and repeated her blood sugar testing and it was a 408. I immediately called her doctor and she said" no worries". I 'am her PCA as well and I'm a bit worried about these numbers. She has never had this high of a blood sugar level before. She is tired ( which is normal for her) and has a headache. Should I bring her to the ER?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan. She needs to be on other medication possibly including Insulin. A blood sugar of 408 is high but not life threatening. Did she have anything to eat this morning? There is no immediate need for an ER visit from what you have stated. She should be started on the insulin as soon as possible to help control her blood glucose levels. I am here to answer additional questions.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan. How is your MIL today? Were you able to get her started on insulin?