Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.

39 years old, female. diabetic since 2002.30 units of

Customer Question

39 years old, female. diabetic since 2002.
30 units of Lantus before bed, and novolog on a sliding scale.Recently I have been trying to eat less carbs to try and lose weight. For some reason my blood sugar is not responding like it has in the past to my insulin. I can eat a meal with very minimal carbs (less than 10 grams) and when I check my sugar later it is over 200. I take my novolog shot and it doesn't seem to effect it or at least not as effectively as it has.I know that is a very broad question, but are there some common things that might cause this?
I had a historectomy a year ago and my Dr. will not put me on hormone treatment. Not sure if this has any bearing.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidthe major reason is insulin resistance.your body has become resistant to the insulin you are need to continue to eat low carbs and exercise and loose weight.loosing weight will help your body use its insulin better and become more sensitive to the insulin in your body.let me know if you have questions.