Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My Primary Dr sent me a referral to a Endocrinologist because

Customer Question

My Primary Dr sent me a referral to a Endocrinologist because of small growth on my kidney can this cause hormonal changes?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The majority of growths on the kidneys are not hormonally active, but there are some that can be. It is more common for hormonally active growths to occur on the adrenal glands that are above the kidneys. We actually see hormonally active cancers of the kidneys more often than we see hormonally active benign growths, but the usual approach to hormonally active cancers of the kidneys would be surgical removal, rather than referral to an Endocrinologist. If your doctor referred you to an Endocrinologist, then there is likely a reason that it is suspected to be hormonally active, but no concern that it is a cancer. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.