Dr. David, Other
Experience:  Experienced physician, undergraduate studies at MIT, studied Engineering, qualified to answer your questions.

I have a strong family story of hypothyroidism that rears

Customer Question

I have a strong family history of hypothyroidism that rears itself mid 30s-40s on my maternal side. My grandmother, 2 aunts and mother all suffer from this, one with Hashimotos disease and most recently had to have her thyroid removed. I had TSH labs drawn 05/15 with level of 1.04 and most recently this week it came up at 2.38 and have had considerable weight gain. I was wondering if this is cause for concern with the family history and increase in just under 9 months.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

this is Dr. David

most endocrinologist would say that TSH levels of between 1.04 and 2.38 are in the normal range.

this doesn't mean that you may not have hashimoto thyroiditis.

you need to get blood testing to check for anti thyroid globulin antibodies and anti thyroid peroxidase antibodies to see if they are elevated. these are the autoimmune antibodies which your immune system can make which can attack your thyroid gland from time to time which can cause thyroiditis and inflammation of your thyroid gland which can affect your thyroid hormone production sporadically.

weight gain for you can be from increased calorie intake, lack of exercise, also you could be having declines of your estrogen levels from early menopause which can slow down your metabolism as well.

let me know if you have questions.

do you have any other questions?