drcaplan, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.

Endocrine question 36 year male. My testosterone total

Customer Question

Endocrine question 36 year male. My testosterone total before trt was 534 free testosterone was 50. I did trt for 2 a half months on starting dose. My doctor found in had a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin. He got me off trt and on dostinex. I have been on dostinex 6 weeks and off trt 3 weeks. I had a blood test yesterday say I have 126 yo to all testosterone and 22 free. My question is what can I do to get my t levels before trt and will my system go back to before trt. It seems like my body is not making testosterone right now.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to the chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and observations.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified?

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Give me a short summary and can you answer me a few questions.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

As you wish. Yes, of course. To your direct question, of what you can do to get your testosterone levels back up where they were, the answer is a bit complicated. Your tumor, and the high prolactin, are what we call "downstream" causes of lower testosterone. If you think of your testosterone levels as the current in a stream you might be fishing in, for example, there are mountains and waterfalls and rivers and oceans before the stream that can all effect the current of the fishing stream.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I mean I used it for 2 months will my testorone go back to before trt therapy not where it should be normally
Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

I see. Provided your tumor is treated appropriate, you can certainly expect your testosterone to return to those levels, yes.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

As far as things you can do to help this process?

Firstly, provided your tumor and high prolactin are addressed appropriately, diet and exercise are likely going to be a central part of your healing and return to baseline. Healthy, well-exercised muscle is an important contributor to normal male testosterone levels.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

There is some evidence that supports testosterone supplementation to help this return to normal, but that is a very complicated discussion, and one that would depend on many aspects of your health and care, including your bloodwork and tumor management.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

I would recommend you visit, and set up a profile, so that you can track your food intake. This is a free service that will give you detailed information about your diet, and the wide effect it has on your nutritional intake.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Being that I was on a low dose for 2 months for my body to start making its own testoerone to what it was before trt how long can that take.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

honestly, it varies widely, and depends on many factors. Assuming your treating your body optimally (which is a very big assumption for most people), it can as much (or as little) as 12-18 months.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long before the t levels at least start going up not fully restore
Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

Great question - If you're heading in the right direction with your treatments, usually within 2-3 months, you should start seeing improvements.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

Sometimes, you can see them sooner, but I'm giving you a more conservative estimate.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

I should also be comprehensive, however, and include the possibility that your testosterone levels may not rise back to their old levels. Depending on what happens with the tumor and treatments, there are certainly cases where men are not returning back to where they want to be. At the very least, the stress of going through what you have been through, can cause lower testosterone levels itself. Make sure that you are including some stress relief exercises with your treatments.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your reply
Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I answer any other questions for you today?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome, take care!