Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My question is about my dad, he was 70 yrs old and very sick

Customer Question

My question is about my dad, he was 70 yrs old and very sick he had went to a few Drs. one was concerned of him having cancer. My dad was taken to the ER by ambulance on 06/28/14 because he was very weak, dehydrated, lost 35 lbs in a short amount of time, vomiting and severe diarrhea. A colonoscopy was done on 07/01/14, found he had cancer, size of hard baseball. Operated on 07/03/14, they wouldn't wait till I got there, I am the only child and he was not married. When I got there on 07/04/14 @ 1:30 am he was sedated. He never came out of it. I remember the nurses say that there was no reaction to the eyes with light. They told me he was in a coma. I had to leave and come back to NM to take care of stuff before going back. I was called on 07/10/14 by a man from a hospital in Joplin, Mo. he was there to pick up my dad and take him because they handled ventilators. He said the were waiting on the EEG. Later that day I spoke with him again and he said the test was there but there was no one to read it. The next day I got a call from the Dr. he said my dad was going downhill again, he wanted to know if I wanted him to start treatment over again. I couldn't handle seeing my dad with blood gushing out of his mouth, the nurse said it was doing the same from the bottom. As fast as the blood was going in it was coming out. I told the Dr. to let my dad go. He passed away the next day. The Dr. didn't tell me my dad was breathing on his own. But, then again he didn't tell me my dad was brain dead. The Dr even lied about me saying things and he lied about my dad. (Dedication of Character) I think he should have to answer for the wrongful things he has done. Can someone please help me?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

I'm very sorry to hear of the tragic downhill health and passing of your Dad...I would advise that you consult a lawyer that works with personal injury and medical malpractice cases ...you have the right to obtain copies of his medical records during the entire course of his hospitalization . The case may be reviewed by your lawyer and a medical expert to review independently your case . It sounds from the history that he was very sick and faced a poor outcome despite potentially further care but I think that you are entitled to answers .

I agree it sounds disturbing in certain regards ***** ***** history . If they lied about his condition then nursing notes may not correlate to the MD notes for example. Certain things would be objective such as his actual EEG for example ....

It is possible that if you feel that you were lied to for pupises of a doctors inappropriate agenda then it may be also a matter of potential disciplinary action .You might contact hospital administration for example ( They may be protective of staff doctors but they do not want bad physicians in their staff)

You might decide to file a complaint the state medical boards if a particular physician was untuthful or irresponsible in caring for your father.

So these are potential avenues that may be open for you. The hospital is going to own the original copies of medical records but you would be entitled to obtain a copy of these records. You may if you want have these reviewed by independent physicians and also legal options may be available to you.

I hope that this information is helpful for you

I am sorry for your loss. I hope that you may be able to obtain a sense of justice in this circumstance. It sounds disturbing from the point of certain omissions that you describe. It does not sound from the description that further measures would have brought him back to any healthy extension of his life however.

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion

I will be happy to get back with you

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD