Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have diabetes and vitiligo. I read that vitiligo could be

Customer Question

I have diabetes and vitiligo. I read that vitiligo could be because of high blood sugar. If I can get my sugar under control will my vitiligo go away or at least stop spreading ? Thank you
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Vitiligo is a skin condition that is auto immune, viral, oxidative or genetic in nature. Diabetes type I which is an autoimmune disease tends to occur more in people who have vitiligo but it is not the other way round. Type I diabetes is also known as Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, which starts in the early years of life unlike Type II diabetes which is not autoimmune in nature and occurs in the later years.

So, having high blood sugars does not cause vitiligo nor will controlling your sugar decrease the vitiligo unfortunately. Laser therapy and tattooing, skin grafting, phototherapy, immunosuppressants are some forms of treatment for vitiligo.

You can discuss this in more detail with your Dermatologist.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Let me know if you have further questions.