Dr. David, Other
Experience:  Experienced physician, undergraduate studies at MIT, studied Engineering, qualified to answer your questions.
41363181

My IGF1 increased from 16 to 30 at a time when I started

Customer Question

My IGF1 increased from 16 to 30 at a time when I started having TMJ symptoms. Its remained at 30 on at least four different tests for the past 2 years. This is substantially above the upper age related ref range of 26. Ive had a glucose tolerance test
for five hours that showed reactive hypoglycemia, although my growth hormone was not above reference range. Ive had bouts of muscle weakness and TMJ pain since the level increased. I have a balance disorder, but this predates the increase in igf1 by 2 years.
What is the reason for the IGF1 being a above the ref range.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

IGF-1 levels are influenced by nutritional intake, thyroxine, chronic illness, and age most of all

IGF-1 levels are lower in children, peak at puberty, and gradually decline throughout adulthood

30 is really not that much higher than 26.

TMJ can cause enough inflammation to raise IGF-1

are you grinding your teeth at night time?

have you tried to wear a bite guard at night time to take pressure off of your TMJ joints?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the TMJ diagnosis is suspect. I do not grind my teeth at night. Its not only that my igf1 is above the ref range, but that the absolute amount has doubled from the baseline. I am not aware that any benign factors (such as nutritional intake etc) can result in such an increase. Increased IGF1 can cause TMJ through jaw bone growth, according the literature. I also have sleep apnea, sore heels (heel pad thickness increase). high normal glucose and insulin. All of these signs can apparently be related to IGF1.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

"In this study an increase in cow’s milk intake from 200 to 600ml per day corresponded to a massive 30 per cent increase in circulating IGF-1"

http://www.whitelies.org.uk/health-nutrition/insulin-growth-factor-1-igf-1

"found that raised levels of IGF-1 were associated with higher intakes of milk, dairy products and calcium while lower levels of IGF-1 were associated with high vegetable consumption, particularly tomatoes."

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My increase was 100%, not 30%.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, I understand,

but I am staying there are many benign factors which can affect your IGF-1 levels

I am not worried about your rise