Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My pcp says he is NOT ready to add another medication to my

Customer Question

My pcp says he is NOT ready to add another medication to my metformin right now. He wants me to lose more weight but I have already established that I am not able to do that and I told him he should probably add another medication to metformin since my
A1C is now 7 and continues to go up despite my exercising more and eating less. He is hesitant to add more meds and thinks if I only lose more weight I won't have a problem with regulating my blood sugar levels. He is not helping me. I told him how I disagree
with his decision making. What else can I do at this point?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Whenever someone feels that their doctor is not helping you or is not listening to you or responding to requests, then it may be time to consider changing to a different doctor, and this would be true regardless of the medical condition or the specific specialist involved.

In this specific situation, you have the option of either seeking out another PCP, or if you otherwise prefer to remain with this PCP, you could decide to see an Endocrinologist only for consultation on care for the diabetes.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

It appears that you have posted this question again. If you have any follow-up questions, please post them here.