Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I will try to be as detailed and brief as possible. I'm

Customer Question

I will try to be as detailed and brief as possible. I'm a 50 year old female. No children. Last July, I started gaining weight and didn't know why. Since Oct 2014, I have had the following tested, TSH, T3, T4 (twice), A1C, Progesterone, Estrogen, Testosterone,
Cortisol (was high in the blood, but normal in the urine) and my growth hormone. All normal. I workout 4-5 times a week (personal training (weights), walking, zumba and boxing). I have a naturopathic doctor that reviews my food diary every 2 months and that's
all fine (no processed foods). But since Feb I have gained 30+lbs and it's not coming off. I am a vegetarian (crab legs every now and then. No diary). Up until Sept, I had been on birth control for 20 years, but I am not off (6-7 weeks now). What else can
I have tested, checked, reviewed..!? I'm at my wits end right now!!
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

what is your TSH level?

your cortisol levels need to be checked in the AM since cortisol levels are naturally higest in the AM

and you also need ACTH levels as well when you get am cortisol levels to check your ACTH

you also need FSH and LH levels checked.

at your age, you are close to menopause or in menopause which will cause declines of your estrogen levels and this can cause you to gain weight.

estrogen will increase the metabolism in women

when estrogen levels decline, you can gain weight from declines of your metabolism.

going off birth control pills will also decrease the amount of estrogen in your system as well