Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I am reasonably healthy 61 year old male. I walk 3 miles a

Customer Question

I am reasonably healthy 61 year old male. I walk 3 miles a day on average four times per week. Until recent, my only medication was Dostinex or Cabergoline which I take 1 times per week at 0.5MG. It is basically maintenance for successful treatment of
Pituitary microadenoma with hyperprolactinemia. My blood pressure typically is 115/72. My primary care doctor recommended an ultrasound for my thyroid that discovered a small amount of cancer in my right lobe measuring 1.2 CM nodule for Papillary thyroid cancer.
On October 16, 2015, my right lobe was removed along with 5 suspicious looking lymph nodes. The results of the removed lymph nodes is that two of the five had metasatic papillary thyroid carcinoma with the largest measuring 0.3 CM. Also noted was " margins
uninvolved by carcinoma. the anterior margin comes to within 0.1 cm of tumor. So, now the question is whether to apply radioactive iodine treatment which would require the removal of the left lobe of the thyroid. What would be your recommendation? And, can
a pet scan or MRI be used to detect existence of any cancer cells in the lymph nodes rather than doing the radio active iodine treatment?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Since you have 1.2 cm cancer with lymph node metastases, you should have radioactive iodine treatment & thyroid hormone (levothyroxine) therapy to prevent hypothyroidism and to minimize potential TSH (thyroid stimulation hormone) stimulation of tumor growth.