Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I feel my testosterone is on the low side age ,I am 31 years

Customer Question

Hi doctor
I feel my testosterone is on the low side for my age ,I am 31 years old.
What do you think?
Testosterone 18 nmol/L. (8.3-29)
Free Testosterone 54.3 pmol/L (25-120)
I know it's in the normal range but feel for my age its low?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

These values are far enough into the normal range that it would not be an issue that it is too low. It is true that it is below the average level for your age, but about half of men will have a testosterone level that is below the average level for their age. This is true for every lab that is measured. It is a basic characteristic of every lab that there is some variability from one person to another, and when we measure a population of normal people, we can calculate an average values, and about half will be below the average and about half will be above the average. We would not consider that about half of men are testosterone deficient.

If the value was borderline, then it would be appropriate to wonder whether your variability is sometimes low and sometimes low in the normal range. But the levels that you relate are sufficiently within the normal range that this is not a concern.

So, the usual next step would be to look for other possible causes of your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this was taken in the morning because the previous reading I took was at 2pm which was lower
It was
Total test of 12
And free test of 35
Which was low that's why I retook it in the morning and came up with above numbers.
The reason I am asking is because I am having trouble getting and maintaining an erection so not sure if this could be the couse or not.

We do see variations in testosterone during the course of the day, particularly in younger men, but the normal range in most labs is defined for the morning level of testosterone. So, the fact that the morning testosterone is higher in the normal range is the expected pattern.

At this point, it would be appropriate to pursue evaluation for other causes of erectile dysfunction, including seeing a Urologist, or to try one of the medicines for treating erectile dysfunction, such as Viagra.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think it's not testosterone?So which kind of specialist does test on all the hormone stuff is a specialist of your type?
Because if I wanted to test all my hormone stuff and so on who would I see?

Certainly, the levels that you relate would suggest that it is not a hormonal issue. In clinical studies, the vast majority of men with erectile dysfunction, hormonal causes are a small minority of cases. There are many cases in which a specific cause cannot be identified, but amongst the men in whom a cause can be identified, hormonal imbalance is a minority.

The specialist to see for a proper evaluation of erectile dysfunction would be a Urologist. If you are seeking a hormone evaluation specifically, an Endocrinologist would be appropriate, but an Endocrinologist would not be able to evaluate for any of the other possible causes of erectile dysfunction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one more question
I was on Mediterranean holiday few months ago and my nighttime erection was much more strong than when at home and libido was bigger
Would this suggest anything?
I know it my not be your expertise but any opinion would be good?
Thanks

The first major impact of being on holiday on erectile function is simply the dissipation of daily stresses. Even in someone with a physical cause of erectile dysfunction, the easing of daily stresses can improve erectile function. Certainly, someone with a psychologic cause of erectile function can notice a huge difference when on holiday and away from daily stresses.

Diet and exercise also can have an impact on erectile dysfunction, but it is usually a chronic effect, so men typically do not notice a significant difference with only a short-term change in diet or activity levels.