Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wife was recently diagnosed a diabetic. She went to the

Customer Question

My wife was recently diagnosed a diabetic. She went to the Hospital because of frequent urination, no taste in food, extreme thirst and stomach pain. After taking several vials of blood, it was discovered that her blood sugar was 700+, grossly above normal...
She has a inactive thyroid, takes synthroid, high blood pressure for which she takes a blood pressure pill and water pill... no other meds. are takened... we have a regular Dr. that we see and have had our regular check ups and blood work... It was after the
Hosp. did a check of her blood and found that she has been this way for three months or better, we asked how could this be possible? We've just had blood work done in July, how could this have been over looked? Are there not indicators in the lab work, even
routine labs that would raise questioned to blood sugars or suggest to any of the findings for diabetes?
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you have a copy of the blood work that was done in July as well as the blood test in the hospital that showed it was present for three months?

If so, can you scan and attach what you have?

I had requested the lab test results and have not heard back. Without the labs, the best that I can say are general statement. If you can get the labs, then I can make more specific statements.

Whether the blood work in July would have detected diabetes would depend upon what lab tests were done. Most of the time, screening blood work will include a chemistry profile that includes a glucose level.

If a glucose level was done in July and was normal, it is more likely that the recent blood test was misinterpreted when they said that the diabetes would have been present longer than 3 months. If you can get me the lab results, then I can be more specific.