Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

My upper right lip has been twitching a week now. What could

Customer Question

My upper right lip has been twitching for over a week now. What could be the issue? Possibly hypoparathyroidism? Should I be worried about any complications or permanent damage?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Are there associated symptoms like weakness or numbness at the face/ loss of hearing/ fever? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No such symptoms. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the past. Took medications and it was corrected. Didn't see any issues at my last physical exam which was several months ago. This diagnosis was more than a year ago.I did see a doctor last November about numbness in my right big toe. It lingered for over a month and I still feel a mild irritation there and there is a sensational difference between the left and the right big toes. But sometimes it seems to be psychological. I did notice on occasion that my right finger twitches. It tends to do that when my right hand is under stress like when it's pressed against a chair. But also I noticed it did that once when I was starving. Not sure if there is a relation.I'm a little worried if there is any neurological issue or endocrynological issue.
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for additional information.

Before putting it on psychological cause I would like to rule out few other common causes. Twitching indicates abnormal contraction of the concerned muscle. The cause can be varies - dehydration/ starvation {low blood sugar}/ abnormal blood flow to the muscle {can be due to atherosclerosis or thrombosis}/ nerve abnormality/ vitamin or mineral deficiency/ thyroid imbalance.

In your case I would think of starvation or dehydration as my first bet.

Next step - A physical evaluation along with few blood investigation should give us more answers.

As of now - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking or excess caffeine. Motrin should help reduce inflammation if any.

Wish you well.

Best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
full metabolic panel didn't show any abnormalities. Just noticed that it stopped twitching perhaps a couple of hours ago. Probably only the second or the third time I notice this since it started occurring. I had previously (december) experienced numbness in my right big toe, and currently am experiencing some internal joint pain in my right knee area. My right elbow was paining a bit in the last day or two. I am wondering if there is a nerve damage or irritation. I don't think it's dehydration because the lip twitched for like 2 weeks now.
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.

Nerve abnormality {pinching or demyelination} needs to be considered. MRI Brain and may be spine would give us more answers. I am happy that twitching has stopped.

Best