DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.
24257177

I recently had an MRI done to look pituitary tumor. The

Customer Question

I recently had an MRI done to look for a pituitary tumor. The results conclude this: The pituitary gland is prominent diffusely and bilaterally. It appears symmetric. It measures 12.7 mm in transverse dimension. 9.71 mm in AP dimension. 1 mm in craniocaudal
dimension. The pituitary stalk is also prominent measuring 3.4 mm. No focal mass. I interpret this as no tumor and it being enlarged. However, the radiologist diagnosed me with a benign tumor. Can you tell me how enlarged this actually is? Also, can a tumor
enlarge the stalk as well? I have--what I suspect to have been--a bad lupus flare. After which, I suffered from terrible headaches. I was able to see a doctor a month after the flare started. My thyroid level was at 7.4. Two months later, it was at 8.5 and
I was producing milk. Is it possible that this is acute inflammation?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

this is only slightly enlarged

should not be over 9mm unless pregnant, then 12 mm.

This would represent hypertrophy or adenoma most likely.

It would not indicate inflammation.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.