DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

I'm close to being pre-diabetic, and so I'm making a

Customer Question

I'm close to being pre-diabetic, and so I'm making a strenuous effort to cut down on the amount of sugar I consume every day. Formerly, I wouldn't think twice about having a couple of cans of soda and a couple of desserts, every day. Now, it's been a month
since I've cut out all soda (and I don't miss it), all artificial sweeteners, and the little sugary snacks I used to eat during the day. I'm still finding it hard to stay within the daily recommended intake of sugar (around 37.5 grams), because I allow myself
one sweet thing per day, like a scoop of ice cream (not a huge dessert). So my consumption of sugar has gone down from about 300-400% of the daily recommended value to around 100%. But I'm a little discouraged because I want to be able to have something sweet
once in a while without it taking up all of my daily allowed sugar intake. Things I like, like ice cream, rice pudding, and biscotti, just have too much sugar in them for me to eat every other day. I'm not diabetic, and I'm not pre-diabetic, but my hemoglobin
A1C is in the high normal range (5.6) I want to get it down to a better range, like 5.0-5.3. I will be starting strength training at the gym in another week or two. Are there any foods I can eat to allow myself some sugar some of the time that won't take up
my entire daily allowance of sugar?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am overweight (245 pounds), but that's about it.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

what about fruit?

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
do you eat fruit?