Dr. David, Other
Experience:  Experienced physician, undergraduate studies at MIT, studied Engineering, qualified to answer your questions.
41363181

My family doc suggested I start on 25 mcg synthroid. I suffer

Customer Question

My family doc suggested I start on 25 mcg synthroid. I suffer from fatigue, especially in the afternoons. My labs on May 7, 2015, showed the following: TSH - 1.80 miU/L; T4 (Free) - 0.8 ng/dL; T3 (Free) - 3.0 pg/mL. According to Quest diagnostics, all these numbers were in their normal range. I suggested to my doc that perhaps my fatigue was due to pre-diabetes. My A1c was 6.1 on May 7. It was 6.3 on December 9, 2014, and 5.8 in July, 2014. I'm trying to decide whether or not to consult a specialist or to follow my doc's advice and try the synthroid. What would you advise? Thanks!
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
you are right that your TSH and thyroid hormone levels are in normal range
normal TSH usually is between 0.3 and 3.0
many tissues can cause fatigue.
low iron levels, low B12, low vitamin D levels can call cause fatigue.
poor sleep at night time, sleep apnea from snoring can cause fatigue.
atenolol can cause fatigue.
if you are waking up frequently at night time to pee and urinate, this can disturb your sleep and cause fatigue.
it does sound like you have some obesity and would benefit from regular exercise and eating healtheir and weight loss which could help your fatigue.
25mcg of synthroid is a low dose, and could help speed up your metabolism to help you loose a bit of weight, but you still have to exercise and eat healthier.
let me know if you have questions.