Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am chronically fatigued....even though I average 9 hours

Customer Question

i am chronically fatigued....even though I average 9 hours per night. Thoughts?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
How long has this been bothering you?
What evaluation has been done thus far?
I am sorry that there has been such a long delay, but the question remained in the Endocrinology category for hours before it was also placed in the general medical category.
In reality, there is a very long list of conditions that can cause chronic fatigue. Certainly, certain endocrine problems can do so, including diabetes or thyroid or adrenal dysfunction. But there also are many conditions of other organ systems that can present with fatigue, including various anemias, chronic heart, lung, kidney, or liver dysfunction. and certain psychologic conditions, such as anxiety or depression. It also can be due to certain problems affecting sleep, and in some of these conditions, the individual is sleeping for an adequate number of hours, but the quality of sleep is affected, such as occur with sleep apnea. It is also possible that fatigue can be caused by cancer, but there would usually be other symptoms present. It is not common that an evaluation of a person that presents solely with fatigue indicates that cancer is the cause. Lastly, there are some people that have chronic fatigue and no specific cause can be identified, called chronic fatigue syndrome.
If there has been some evaluation, then I can review it and consider the appropriate next step. But if no evaluation has yet been done, the first step would be a visit to your primary care physician.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.