Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 36 year old female, healthy, not overweight. I have had

Customer Question

I am a 36 year old female, healthy, not overweight. I have had stomach issues for some time, hair loss, fatigue, and high blood pressure. Recent tests performed by family physician show my pituitary gland is not functioning, however, I am unable to schedule an appointment earlier than a month and a half out. My blood pressure with medication is in the 170s over 115s, am I going to die? I am really sick and can't seem to get in with an endocrinologist earlier than that. I have included recent and past results of thyroid below.
Current Readings taken a week ago:
TSH 0.02
T4 0.63
T3 2.9
Readings taken back in August of 2014:
TSH 0.10
T3 3.47
T4 0.38
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are several issues of concern in this situation.
The most immediately worrisome is a blood pressure of 170s/115. As a general rule, a blood pressure that is >180/110 is considered the level that requires urgent attention, and that would be if either number is ***** that threshold. Generally speaking, the risk associated with an elevated blood pressure accrues over years, but a blood pressure >180/110 is associated with significant risk of acute complications, such as a stroke.
If someone finds that their blood pressure is above this threshold, it is reasonable to rest for 10-15 minutes and recheck the blood pressure, and if it drops below the threshold, it does not require being seen. However, if the blood pressure remains above 180/110, it is recommended to be seen urgently.
As for the pituitary, it certainly is appropriate to be seen by an Endocrinologist and for additional evaluation, as the pituitary actually releases several other important hormones. However, the abnormalities in the hormones are not a condition that requires urgent attention, as there is no short term risk of death. Some people will be feeling miserable, and in those cases, I will try to talk with the Endocrinologist office to try to obtain a quicker appointment, but it is generally not necessary to seek an urgent appointment because it is immediately life threatening.
It is possible that someone could develop emergent levels of illness related to endocrine dysfunction, but these people typically have greater symptoms than you describe.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.