Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 45 y/o male. In relatively good health except I am

Customer Question

I am a 45 y/o male. In relatively good health except I am overweight. 6-1, 255 lbs. spare tire. I used to be pretty fit in my 20's and 30's. I have small children and wife and I are not having children again. I've had a vasectomy. What would be the best
and safest way to address low T and possibly go on a rejuvenation regimen I keep hearing about, via a physicians care?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!It sounds that low T in your case may be perhaps suspected??? Or has this been confirmed?? If not yet confirmed then your doctor may check both serum total testosterone and FREE TESTOSTERONE levels. IF TOO LOW then there are a number of options for testosterone replacement therapy. I like Androgel for its convenience but other forms are available--a word of caution that the intial treatment may cause feedback to LOWER your body's own testosterone production.The dose commonly needs to be titrated up over the initial months of treatment. ( I have seen cases where the first measure following start of treatment is actually LOWER!!)The supplement over the counter of DHEA is an intermediate steroid and is in part converted to testosterone ....so taking t0 to q0mpg a day of DHEA may tend to support your testosterone levels... If the issue is mainly erectile dysfunction then there may be other factors present. If ED is main issue then an ED medication such as Viagra or Levitra or Cialis may help. I hope thatvthis information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
50 to 100 mg per day of DHEA...
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response, Dr. Bray. Being perfectly honest, I took illicit testosterone and steroids in my 30s. I felt the effects and loved it...but that was pretty dangerous I must admit, because I had no clue where the stuff was coming from...even though I experienced gains in muscle mass and fat loss, increased energy, heightened libido...but I'm a father and don't want to do anything risky or illegal, but I remember having that extra power at the gym and getting good recovery after a workout. I don't have ED or anything like that...its more about the vitality and energy plus recovery so I can get back in the gym and get back on track...then taper off once I've lost weight and gotten back into the rhythm of working out again....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, hello Dr. Phil, I just realized you responded, who is my expert now? You or Dr. Bray?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I didn't realize that Dr. Bray was working on this question. I will opt out for him
Hello again,OK --- I see...You may consult an endocrinologist to make sure that your testosterone levels were at good levels. You may take the DHEA suppkement up to 100mg with no harm I would say..Now I would not advise exogenous testosterone if you have normal levels... We all know of the performance benefit but we know the down side too. Anger control is potential concern. Increased risk of blood clots, heart attacks, strokes, DVT's, pulmonary embolism are very serious and real risks of too much testosterone!! I met a body builder on dialysis due to steroids....The bot***** *****ne is that too much is not harmless.Trust me there are Many her unfortunate horror stories out there due to too much testosterone or related androgen steroids. So I encourage you to exercise ....have your T levels checked and that is fine. Replace or supplement IF NEEDED! I steinglyvadvise against excess though!!! JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK!!! STAY HEALTHY!! I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion! Take Care!!Anthony Bray MD