Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.

Hemoglobin Alc Results 6.3 High Units % Reference

Hemoglobin Alc
Results : 6.3 High
Units : %
Reference : 4.8 - 5.6
Increased Risk for Diabetes : 5.7 - 6.4
Diabetes : > 6.4
Glycemic control for adults with diabetes < 7.0

I was doing fasting for 12-14hrs before test. But the night before I eat some desert with my dinner will that effect the result.

Can you also explain the results.

My Self female 62yrs old.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Adi replied 5 years ago.

Dr Adi :

Hi there.

1- The A1c test reflects the average blood sugar levels over the previous 3 months, it is not affected by any meals or changes in blood sugar from the day before the test.

2- Your result (6.3%) is definitely above the normal range, which means that your average blood sugar levels over at least the previous 3 months have been higher than normal. This is a condition called pre-diabetes, which means you may be on the way to developing diabetes soon unless an intervention is done. A result of 6.3% is in fact pretty close to actually having diabetes, so you really need to address this issue with your doctor and begin some program to get your blood sugars back down into the normal range.

By that I mean working on weight management (if you are overweight) and even more importantly increasing your level of physical activity. If successful, you may see improvement in your A1c and blood sugar values, such that you may not need to start on drugs or insulin, at least not yet. If not successful, chances are your doctor will start you on some medications sometime soon.

I hope this helps and explains.