RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What do you do if your boss is verbally abusing you?

Customer Question

JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, several times
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am the mother of the employee, she has asked me to check for her because she can not do this at work.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

Sadly, the reality is that usually there is very little you can do, but quit and/or report the managers to their superiors. If your daughter is in a union, she can grieve the matter. If the abuse is discriminatory in nature (e.g., based on her race, religion, sex, etc.), she may be able to file a harassment claim. Depending on the severity, she might also be able to make claims for intentional infliction of emotional distress (though such cases are hard to prove and require significant damages).

While verbal abuse is a common problem in the workplace, the law does not make it unlawful for an employer to be merely disrespectful, rude, obnoxious, condescending, etc. to their employees. The Supreme Court has even stated that the law is "not a civility code." Some states have considered laws against workplace bullying, but I have not seen anything formative yet.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 12 days ago.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, if you have no additional questions, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thank you.