John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I work as a nurse practitioner and my contract ends June

I work as a nurse practitioner and my contract ends June 30th. My employer sent me an email on april 25th stating he would not be renewing my contract, but I must work until July 21st. There is a 90 day clause in the contract and I understand that it I were to give resignation. But if the contract is up why do I have to work longer if he was the one that gave me notice of non renewal.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time, at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know if I truly have to work until the 21st. I want to leave on payday end of the pay period July 13th and leave.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

There is no legal reason why you'd have to work through July 21st; it could only be contractual. In other words, unless your contract requires you to stay on to July 21st you would not have to stay on. Closely examine the contract and ensure that there is no clause that would allow him to require you to stay on that long...if not then you are free to leave any time after June 30.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
it just states on the contract either employer or nurse practitioner may terminate this agreement upon 90 days prior written notice to the other by mutual consent. I did not consent to this as I was on leave when I got the letter. I should not be required to work past my contractual date since it was less than the 90 day window. that was his fault for giving it to me after April 1st.

I agree, he is not in compliance with the contract. Thus he cannot make you stay any longer than the agreement requires. Hope this answers your questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
if I walk out on the 13th of July handing in my computer and keys, he cant do anything?

Right, because the contract terminates, the idea of notice is no longer required. That would only be necessary if either of you were levin before the natural end of the contract and even then it states the termination must be mutual agreement for 90 days to be required.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok perfect. Can I make him take my name off the office sign as that would imply to patients that I am employed there.

Well he cannot legally or ethically imply that he has someone on staff that he does not. You'd either have to report him to the board or file a lawsuit against him though to do that.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.