LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Can you be fired for serving on a jury, I live in

Customer Question

Can you be fired for serving on a jury
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in pennysylvania
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time dental assistant
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a letter from the employee stating that I have been living up to my job and because I had called off for jury duty I was terminated I had gone on vacation when I received the letter for jury duty. I forgot about it until the Saturday before I had to report I had phoned the office manager to advice her of the situation
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under PA law, you cannot be fired because you have been subpoenaed to appear for jury duty. If you are terminated because you called in to inform your employer that you were summoned for jury duty then you may sue the employer for Wrongful Discharge.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug