Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Does an employer have to offer health insurance. and can

Customer Question

does an employer have to offer health insurance. and can they stop your health insurance without notice?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: alaska
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time has been there for 15 yrs
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can we sue the employer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
An employer no longer MUST offer health insurance absent a written contract to do so with the employee. The employer however must give advance written notice to the employee prior to cancellation of any benefits and failure to do so can make the employer liable for paying any medical costs incurred that should have been paid by the insurance. So if the employer cancelled the insurance without notice, then any medical expenses the insurance should have covered, the employees can sue the employer for those expenses. Also, if the employer continued to take money for the insurance and did not provide any, the employees can sue the employer for that as well.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.