Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My employer is contracted with another company and the

Customer Question

My employer is contracted with another company and the company is not re newing our contract. In two months we will be laid off. We are getting 2 weeks pay and all vacation time accrued. On my paystub today 60 hours of my PTO is missing. I did not take vacation and I did not get paid for the 60hours. Can an employer legally take vacation time away without a policy or not? I work in Fliorida
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: let me look at my contract
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is at will
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no law on the books regarding vacation time. Thus, how an employer deals with vacation time is subject to their own policy. If they do not have a policy as you said, then they cannot take away such time without notice to the employee and opportunity for the employee to use the time before losing it. So if they have taken away the time without paying for it, you and the other employees would have to sue for the time being taken if they do not pay you for it.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.