Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My fiance works in the state of wisconsin.. they are trying

Customer Question

my fiance works in the state of wisconsin.. they are trying to make her work 7 days a week which isn't happening... She has been working 6 days a week for the last 2 years.. they are trying to say they are agriculture and can make her work 7 days a week because the mills it makes up such a percent of there business which i would love to know how much that is consider but can't she say sunday is her day of worship.. she has a supervisor position and her department is a bottling line for a condiment not a mill.. i really don't want her to get fired but could she turn around and go after them if they fire her
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: wisconsin
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If your fiance's employer has 15 or more employees, she is entitled to "reasonable accommodations" for her religious practices. This does not mean she would be entitled to all of Sunday off, but rather only enough time off so that she can attend church services. Furthermore, this would only be required of her employer if it does not impose "undue hardship" on the company. Since she is a supervisor, it is possible that her attendance and work on Sundays is critical to the functioning of the company, and if that is the case, accommodating her need to attend religious services might be an undue hardship. Ultimately, there is a factual question here which can only be resolved by a jury at a trial, so it is impossible to predict whether a claim would succeed with any degree of certainty. Still, the first step in pursuing such a claim would be to file a complaint with the EEOC, which you can do here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.