John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My company is being investigated by a federal investigator

Customer Question

My company is being investigated by a federal investigator for wage, and time abuse. I'm the manager and the owners asked me what happened in my personal interview and the other employees. They wanted me to discuss my interview and others with their own company attorney, I declined and stated I needed my own legal counsel, and that point they became upset with me. I'm afraid of losing my job and other retaliation.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Buffalo NY
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will, full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: From what the owners tell me, I've been accused of not helping an employee, who recently quit and who was a direct relative.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This job is Healthcare with doctors and nurses...I'm the clinical Manager BSN. The two ownnets are one CEO who has worked in medical buisness, the other, a nurse practitioner. I will not lie as that reflects on my character as a nurse and I will not violate the rights of my fellow employees by disclosing how they acted after the interview.
Expert:  John replied 6 days ago.

I'm not quite sure what your concern is here as a direct question was not asked. You as an employee would not have liability for the wage claim to any of the employees. Also your concern seems to be what the repercussion will be for not helping the ownership. Generally as a manager it is your duty to assist the ownership, but I can understand your trepidation in revealing employee information. But you could be disciplined or discharged for not assisting the owners in the investigation; there is no protection for not revealing information to management.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My question is simply that I'm being asked to disclose knowledge of what the federal investigator obtained through other employees through confidential interview. I was also asked to provide the questions and answers to my own confidential interview with the federal investigator on work practice to the two owners.Telling them versus not telling them sets me up for furthe issues, so either way, I'm screwed