Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Can an employer force a curfew on its employees? Utah, at

Customer Question

can an employer force a curfew on its employees?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, at will employers have the right to impose rules as they choose on their employees. As long as the employer is not discriminating against the employee only based on the employee's age/race/sex/disability/national origin, then the employer can enforce such a rule. For off duty policies, for time the employee is not being paid, the rule must be found to be reasonable by the court to be enforceable and it is a bit difficult unless the employee is staying at the premises of the employer to enforce a curfew, but if the employee is staying at the employer's premises, such a rule would not only be legal, but enforceable as well.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.