Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I have a question about the rights of actors who have gone

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about the rights of actors who have gone "financial core" in their stage union. Does the union have the right to treat them as non-union actors for the purposes of 1) auditions, 2) health and pension claims and 3) grievances?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: I have documented their policy statements. There is no HR before one gets cast in a play?
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The bot***** *****ne is Fi-Core members are not union members and cannot represent themselves as part of the union membership. They go Fi-Core so they can work union and non-union productions in most cases. So, yes, the union can treat them differently when it comes to auditions, benefits and grievances, because they are technically are not union members, they simply pay dues to be allowed to work on union jobs in addition to non-union jobs.