Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I was drawing unemployment then my pension started and they

Customer Question

I was drawing unemployment then my pension started and they took my unemployment away from me is there anything I can do about that
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Missouri by Springfield
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I turn in anything I make when I'm drooling on pond if I make anything. As far as I know they had a meeting and send papers to me they disqualified me and want me to pay back the employment that I receipt so I guess it has been filed and reported
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The real sticklers about whether my employee paid in on this retirement or I pay again well I paid in that my route player got the credit I worked at a unit
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, when you qualify for pension from the same employer where you were laid off, legally they have to stop unemployment benefits because you are now considered retired. If the employer paid in anything on the retirement plan, then you have to be disqualified from unemployment benefits. If you paid ALL of the money into your retirement and you are just pulling that money out, then unemployment benefits can be continued and you would have to prove that to unemployment or you would have to pay back the money that unemployment already paid you.
If you appeal based on you paying the money into your retirement with none from the employer (voluntary pension plan) then you can avoid having to repay the money back and can get benefits reinstated. You need to consider using an unemployment law attorney to represent you in the appeal to try to at least avoid having to repay them what you collected.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.