Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I am a salaried employee. can my employer mandate attendance

Customer Question

I am a salaried employee. can my employer mandate attendance at lunch meetings? This is the only break I get
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

No, an employer can't do that. If they do, they must allow for a separate break from work. Section 162 f the New York labor laws makes EVERY employee (including white collar exempt employees) eligible for a lunch break each day, meaning a minimum of 30 minutes of uninterrupted free time. You don't have to be allowed to leave the premises, but being required to sit at a lunch meeting is not a true meal period. You can make a complaint to New York's Department of Labor to have the matter resolved.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.