Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

Can my employer force me to take a position at another

Customer Question

Can my employer force me to take a position at another company entity owned by the same umbrella organization?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Corporate offices in Ohio.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time, at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, just want to know my rights so I'm prepared
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Before we begin a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, transfer you, reduce compensation (going forward), schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.